Re: need help with openscad's license

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 21:22:38 +0100 chrysn wrote:

> hello debian-legal,

Hello chrysn!

> as a part of my intent to package openscad (#583476), i want to ask you
> for help with the package's licensing.

Thanks for trying hard to solve this issue in the best possible way.

> as outlined in the itp, the package is gpl-2+ itself and depends heavily
> on libcgal, which is qpl and thus in non-free, which sends openscad to
> contrib.

Have you tried to persuade libcgal copyright holder(s) to re-license
libcgal under the GNU GPL v2 or later, or under the GNU LGPL v2.1, or,
at least, to dual-license it under the QPL and one GPLv2-compatible
license?
This much more radical approach could make openscad suitable for
inclusion in Debian main!
Now *that* would be something really worth fighting for!  ;-)

[...]
> License: GPL-2+ with CGAL exception
>  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
>  under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
>  Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option)
>  any later version.
>  .
>  As a special exception, you have permission to link this program
>  with the CGAL library and distribute executables, as long as you
>  follow the requirements of the GNU GPL in regard to all of the
>  software in the executable aside from CGAL.
>  .
>  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
>  ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
>  FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for
>  more details.
>  .
>  A copy of the GNU General Public License can be found in
>  /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2.

This CGAL-linking exception seems to be a bit incomplete.
Shouldn't there be also the permission to drop the exception?
Please see the phrasing recommended by the FSF for the GPL v2 + linking
exception:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!