Re: copyright law wackyness

* Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [111225 18:30]:
> Germany has the same problem, I think, because in order to protect
> authors from distributors (which are often quasi-monopolistic), there
> are limits to what license grants authors can make.  As a result, a
> similar situation could theoretically arise.  My favorite example is
> an author objecting to a Windows port of her software, on the grounds
> that it's misrepresentation of her work.

I don't think there is much danger in that regard (wacky judges can
make everything a problem, so let's assume judges with brains). An author
can withdraw his work if he "changed his opinion", but that only takes
effect until he paid everyone owning a copy enough money to cover the
direct costs of it no longer being available. Given the lengthy preamble
of the GPL everything else should hardly be a problem given how much of
the author's intend is specified. (Perhaps with the exceptions of things
anyway a no-go like creating something awfull and claiming that was done
by the original author).

Everything in this mail my personal opinion, if you want to be advised
about the law ask a lawyer...