Re: Fwd: Re: RFS: wmaker

* Hendrik Weimer <hendrik@enyo.de> [111115 15:50]:
> US government works are only in the public domain when distributed
> within the US. In all other countries that have signed the Berne
> Convention you still need a license, which should also apply to many
> Debian mirrors.

It's a bit more complicated. As far as I do understand it, copyright
treaties mean you have to protect other countries' copyrights in your
own. But it does not say if you have to apply your rules or their rules
for what is protected. So similarily to some piece of work where the
author is dead long enough for the work to no longer have a
copy-monopoly on it in the author's home country there are
juristdictions where that work is not protected (because it no longer
is protected "at home") and there are jurisdictions where it is still
protected (because it needs more years there).

This only contradicts the "all" in "all other countries", not the
problem itself...