Re: Lost sources

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:08:13 +1100 Ben Finney wrote:

> Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:12:11 -0700 (PDT) Ken Arromdee wrote:
> >
> > > Consider the case where someone edits an audiovisual work using
> > > uncompressed video and audio files, then deletes them when he's done
> > > because they take up too much space. Plenty of sane people will do
> > > this.
> >
> > In this case, by deleting the uncompressed form, they clearly show
> > that they prefer to keep the compressed form for future modifications,
> > rather than the uncompressed form.
>
> That's not so clear. Rather, I would interpret that situation as being
> that the merson who made the modifications isn't interested in making
> further modifications (or values making further modifications less than
> reclaiming the storage space).
>
> By that interpretation, they might answer a question of “what is the
> preferred form of the work for making modifications?” with “I prefer not
> to make any more modifications to this work”.

The fact is, whatever that person may think, sooner or later, the need
for further modification may indeed arise.
At that point, that person will answer the question with "I would have
preferred that other form, but I discarded it, hence I prefer this one,
among the ones I kept around..."

> In other words, by removing the uncompressed form, it's not clear that
> they've expressed a preference for making further modifications with any
> particular form.

It's clear that they *will have* to prefer a compressed form, as soon
as they face the need to make (unforeseen) further modifications...

[...]
> > However, we also have to consider this: in some cases, when the
> > uncompressed form is hundreds of times larger than the compressed
> > form, the former may be really unpractical to handle. In those cases,
> > maybe we prefer to use some compressed form to make further
> > modifications, just for practical reasons.
>
> That's a departure from what was concluded elsewhere in the thread: that
> free software entails that every recipient should have equal access to
> the work for making modifications.

I was not clear, sorry.
What I meant was: the "we" in "we prefer" includes the original author.
If the uncompressed form is really unpractical to handle, it may happen
that even the original author prefers to get rid of it and keep a
compressed form for making further modifications.
In other words, when the uncompressed form is really huge, it may
happen that we fall back the case where the author deletes it, as
discussed above.

I hope it's clearer now.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!