Re: a Free Platform License?

Le jeudi 24 novembre 2011 à 14:55 -0400, David Prévot a écrit :
> > I'm looking for a software license, which Debian would
> > support, that actively encourages use of free platforms;
> > and consequently restricts proprietary platforms.
>
> If you're looking for a license that “discriminate against [a] group of
> persons” [DGSG5], such as proprietary platforms users, that's not going
> happen in Debian.

WTF?

This is a very, very personal interpretation of DFSG5. One that would
lead to reject any package with a copyleft license.

Actually, it is already widely accepted that the system libraries
exception does not apply to packages in Debian, so a license that would
be the same as the GPL but without this exception wouldn’t make a single
difference for us.

But it would make the hell of a difference for Android/OSX/Windows, of
course…
And because of that, overall I don’t think it’s a bad idea. But you’d
have to convince a lot of people to use it, because it only makes sense
when applied to a killer application, and you can’t know by advance
which ones will be.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :