Re: LICENSE appendix kept untouched ?

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:55:33 +0100 Julien Jehannet wrote:

> Hello debian-legal,

Hi!

> I was wondering about the best practises for an upstream project
> concerning their LICENSE/COPYING files (especially with widespread
> licenses).
>
> The point is about the appendix section (after the end of terms and
> conditions) which explains how common license terms must be applied
> and how the copyright holder have to be updated.
>
> 1. Could you confirm that these files must *always* be kept untouched
>    by upstream authors (as I suppose now after some discussions) ?

I am not sure that they *must always* be included as verbatim copies of
the "official" version, but a number of licenses definitely mandate
this behavior (see for instance the GNU GPL).

Anyway, even in cases where the license authors do *not* explicitly
require it, I think that one should try to use the unaltered "official"
version of the license, whenever possible/appropriate.

> 2. Is the appendix section must/should/may be present ?
>
>    Example:
>    - the `Gnomovision` example in GPL-2 file

As already explained by others, the appendix is an integral part of the
GNU GPL.

> 3. Is there any step to review for a Debian maintainer with specific
>    content like:

I am afraid I don't fully understand this question.

Are you asking what should the maintainer of a Debian package do when
facing the situations described below?
I'll assume that this is meaning of your question.

>    Examples:
>    - blank copyright line¹ often found in LICENSES files

I think that the maintainer of a Debian package should seek
clarification from the upstream authors, whenever he/she finds an
incomplete copyright notice in the package.

>    - GPL-2 'any-later-version' option² in source code notices

I think that the maintainer of a Debian package should not do anything
special, when he/she finds an 'any-later-version' option in the package.
Licensing under GPLv2-or-later is a legitimate upstream choice.
Licensing under GPLv2-only is another equally legitimate upstream
choice.
Both possible choices should be respected as such: it's up to the
upstream authors to decide, and neither choice is a DFSG-freeness
issue, in itself.

> Perhaps debian-legal@ has remarks/recommendation to share. It might help
> some newcomers like me.

I hope my replies may help a little bit...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!