Re: Consultation on the license BlueJ

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 16:43:35 +0200
Innocent De Marchi <tangram.peces@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm thinking package BlueJ for Debian
> (http://www.bluej.org/index.html). The program is distributed in
> GPL-2 license with the Classpath Exception: I think this is correct.
> But are also distributed to third parties libraries under other
> licenses: http://www.bluej.org/about/THIRDPARTYLICENSE.txt
> I do not know these licenses meet the specifications of Debian.
> I very much appreciate if someone clarifies this.
>
> Best regards!
>
> I. De Marchi

I'm only going to throw in a few quick comments, i'm sure a regular can
provide better feedback later.

First off, the debian wiki [1] is a good place to look for DFSG
compatibility, and the fedora wiki [2] for GPL compatibility.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

* Java Secure Channel appears to be 3 clause bsd
  http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#The_3-clause_BSD_License

* Netbeans CVS Client Library is cddl. This is *NOT* GPL compatible. If
  the library is used by BlueJ you might have a problem. Debian wiki
  licensing page doesn't seem to have anything on cddl.
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses

* ANTLR 3 License i don't know, not seen it before (a no clause bsd!?)

* Junit has Common Public License, which is DFSG free, but
  *not* GPL compatible. This could be a problem like CDDL
  http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#Common_Public_License_.28CPL.29.2C_Version_1.0
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses

* SVNKit has the TMate Open Source License, again it seems free but
  *not* GPL compatible.
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses

I've not `wdiff`ed any of thse to be sure, so you should double check,
and I'm judging by the Fedora wiki to see if its GPL compat or not.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)