about licensing

Hi all,
I have a doubt about licensing. Recently
I was adopting a package and new upstream release
recomend libcurl4-openssl-dev as build dependency
instead libcurl4-gnutls-dev. Upstream author
released it under LGPL as usual.
Furthermore previous Debian versions was released
under GPL-3 but I've noticed it could be a GPL
violation with OpenSSL license (due this new upstream version)
I'm not sure if LGPL and OpenSSL are compatible
but, it could be fixed if re-licensing Debian
packaging under LGPL instead GPL-3?
or what can I do to fix it?

Best regards,

--