Re: Question about the criteria for a library to be in contrib

On 04/05/2011 03:23 AM, Hendrik Weimer wrote:
> Michael Wild <themiwi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I find this hard to believe, since the package only uses the free
>> and publicly available API defined by the Khronos group and it is
>> up to the user of the package against which implementation of
>> OpenCL he wishes to link.
>
> How is this different from Java before OpenJDK was released?
>
> Hendrik

I think it is different because the package will only contain source
code. It hasn't been processed by or linked against any proprietary,
non-free software. Of course, one could argue that it is implicitly tied
to non-free software since there is currently no alternative. So, for
me, this is kind of a conundrum :-)

BTW, there is a free implementation of OpenCL in the works in Mesa,
called Clover [1]. However, I'm not sure how far along it is and how
active it is, the last commit is from late November, last year.

Michael

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/clover