Re: scientific paper in package only in postscript form non-free?

In addition to the points already covered by Bernhard and Francesco:

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 03:09:00PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:
>
>   source code
>        n : program instructions written as an ASCII text file; must be
>            translated by a compiler or interpreter or assembler into
>            the object code for a particular computer before
>            execution
>
> The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03) [foldoc]:
>
>   source code
>
>           <language, programming> (Or "source", or rarely "source
>           language") The form in which a computer program is written by
>           the programmer.  Source code is written in some formal
>           programming language which can be compiled automatically into
>           {object code} or {machine code} or executed by an
>           {interpreter}.
>
>           (1995-01-05)

Both definitions would make the source code requirement void or trivial
to fulfill. Any file can be "compiled" from its hex dump, which is ASCII.
And for all kinds of file formats you will find a geek who claims that
she actually already has created a file of that format by typing its hex
dump [0]. Anyway, the above seem to be definitions of source code in
general, not source code of a specific file.

Best regards,

  Mark Weyer

[0] I, for example, regularly use text editors for creating xpm pictures.