Re: copyright on upstream patches

Hi Charles

could you please CC me on reply? Thanks

> Le Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:16:26AM +0100, Harald Jenny a écrit :
> >
> > I also thought about this but as the license text for the University of
> > California differes slightly from the one of Petr Rehor I wasn't sure this is
> > the correct way to do it - I also thought about:
>
> Oops, I missed this as the first and the last BSD texts were identical...

No problem I also only realized it when modifying the copyright file.

> > Files: *
> > Copyright: 2005, Petr Rehor <rx@rx.cz>
> > License: BSD-1
> >
> > Files: compat/fts_compat.h, compat/daemon.c, compat/mkdtemp.c,
> >        compat/fts_open.c
> > Copyright: 1987, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, The Regents of the University of
> >            California
> > License: BSD
> >  LICENSE TEXT FROM California
> >
> > Files: debian/*
> > Copyright: 2009-2011, Harald Jenny <harald@a-little-linux-box.at>
> > License: BSD-1
> >
> > License: BSD-1
> >  LICENSE TEXT FROM Petr Rehor
> >
> > As I'm not sure how detailed the exact wording of the license text must be
> > preserved I wanted to be on the safe side but when it's ok to just use the
> > amavisd-milter License stanza also for the University of California this is for
> > sure better... what's the list's opinion on this?
>
> That is a good point. My personal impression (but not really an informed
> opinion: I am ready to change my mind if I hear good arguments), is that if the
> license text is not identical to the reference BSD license, then it is not the
> BSD license.

Hmmm maybe my memories plays tricks on me but I thought I saw such BSD licenses
with different wording... maybe someone else can comment on this too.

> Note that if you pick BSD-1 as a keyword, it looks like a versionned short
> name. How about BSD-like ?

Well this may be ok but I guess the first question is the exact definition of
the BSD license and the second would be how do deal with multiple such BSD-like
licenses (BSD-like-1, BSD-like-2...)?

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Charles