Re: data "copyright" or not -- what is Debian's take?

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 at 10:44:34 -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Should I advise to blindly attach a copyright  statement and
> license, possibly copyrighting non-copyrightable, thus committing
> "Copyfraud" in some jurisdictions?

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but would this work?

    To the extent that it is covered by copyright under any applicable laws,
    this data is copyright © 1984 Winston Smith.

    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
    [... and the rest of the usual MIT license text]

If it turns out not to be covered by copyright, this is a no-op; if it is,
it gives permission for more or less everything.