Re: [MeeGo-dev] [Pkg-meego-maintainers] Packaging the MeeGo stack on Debian - Use the name ?

On Fr, 2010-12-10 at 06:56 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 4:38 AM, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> >> OK, so for this to be possible, {M,m}-e-e-{G,g}-o must be never used
> >> in the works of The Meego Project as a functional term.  That is to
> >> ask, is it possible to change the name without impacting on other
> >> software which uses the works of The Meego Project?  There is no
> >> libmeego* or anything like that?
> >>
> >> If there is a libmeego*, then clearly meego should be used in some way
> >> for interoperability and I suggest the trademark policy changes to be
> >> reasonable and explicitly allow use of meego as part of functional
> >> names.  That is, drop the file name constraint above.  It's just
> >> honest description of the upstream source of the code and not
> >> necessarily used in product names.  File names aren't normally covered
> >> by trademarks, are they?
> >>
> >> If there isn't a libmeego* or similar, I guess all is well and I
> >> thank everyone for clarifying it.
> > There is libmeegotouch and a lot of stuff has meego in the package
> > names, we can't really change that without breaking compatibility.
> >
> > Some further things for Ibrahim:
> >        * Our team name is a unix group name and it's pkg-meego (meaning
> >          package software from MeeGo). The trademark is used to refer to
> >          the upstream part, so people know what is packaged. That's the
> >          same for pkg-mozilla and all the other teams, and just a
> >          technical detail. We'd like to keep it, since changing it is
> >          impossible (you need to delete the old group and create a new
> >          one instead).
> >        * I propose that we use MeeGo in other things like this:
> >                * Replace:
> >                        * Debian MeeGo Team
> >                        * Debian MeeGo stack maintainers
> >                        * Debian MeeGo packaging Team
> >                * By:
> >                        * Packagers of MeeGo-originated and related
> >                          software
> >                * This makes it clear that MeeGo refers to upstream only,
> >                  and that this is not officially MeeGo.
>
> do you also have a pkg-canonical or pkg-ubuntu group for packaging
> Ubuntu software ?

We have:
      * an utnubu group (Ubuntu merges, so we backmerge, thus reversed)
        with the title: "Ubuntu backmerging team"
      * a #debian-ubuntu irc channel
      * Various packages containing the name Ubuntu:
              * ttf-ubuntu-title
              * ubuntu-dev-tools (with Debian being Ubuntu's upstream
                now)
              * gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks
      * Packages maintained by teams with Ubuntu in their name:
              * Debian/Ubuntu NetSurf Package Team
              * Debian/Ubuntu wpasupplicant Maintainers
              * Debian/Ubuntu Zope team
              * Debian/Ubuntu Zope Team
              * LTSP Debian/Ubuntu Maintainers
              * Ubuntu Developers
              * Ubuntu Mozilla Team

So, we do not have a team with that precise names, but we have lots of
teams, packages and a channel using the name.
--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.