Re: Releasing under a different liberal license?

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:06:53 +0200 Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> Hi

Hi Miriam!

[...]
> My question is then, can I release my derivative version of the
> software under a BSD-2 or MIT license (respecting the original
> copyright statements, of course)?

I don't think you have permission to change the license of the original
code: I don't see any permission to sub-license or re-license.
It seems you have permission to modify and distribute the modified
version, since you explicitly asked to upstream and you were told that
it's OK.

I think you can license your *modifications* under a license of your
choice (the 2-clause BSD license or the Expat/MIT license would be
very good choices), but the original work (which is still copyrighted
by the original upstream) has to remain under the original license
plus the e-mail message that clarifies that modifications are allowed.

Unless of course you manage to track down the original upstream
again and persuade them to re-license the original work under a
new license (such as 2-clause BSD or Expat/MIT).

I hope this helps.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?