Re: [Lame-dev] LAME license

Josselin Mouette a écrit :
BTW, while the note #2 is an "activist" one, note #1 is a "pragmatic one". LGPLv2 theoritically prevents any patent holder or patent to distribute LAME. That is a huge problem for some companies, and goes far beyond only LAME.

It only prevents redistribution by holders of a patent that applies to
LAME, or by those who have bought a patent license. I think this is a
desirable side effect.

Well, the only result is that some companies are then choosing to use a closed-source encoder from an other provider. To me that is hardly a desirable side effect.

(btw, that's  bit off-topic, isn't it?)

Regards,

--
Gabriel Bouvigne