Re: Distribution of media content together with GPLv2 code in one package?

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:20:12PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:45:42 +0200 Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> [...]
> > Simply because the only part of the author that goes in is his thought,
> [...]
>
> It is indeed the author's thought that is goes in: something that is
> quite unique, I would say...

Yes, but they are all transparently written down in the source code, in a form
anyone can (learn to) read. Something that is simply impossible for many kinds
of music or other media.

> In summary, I think you are oversimplifying the art of programming.

Not really.

You can perfectly replicate a program by copying its source code.

You cannot replicate the sound of spoken words by speaking the same words.

If you want to define source code as "whatever is needed for replicating the
output, in a form that can be edited", then spoken voice has no such thing.

Rudolf Polzer