Re: Distribution of media content together with GPLv2 code in one package?

[Repost of a message from Paul Wise by Rudolf Polzer with Paul Wise's permission]

On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 13:09 +0200, Rudolf Polzer wrote:

> Well, can it then still be one single download package?
>
> Can "the game" consist on multiple differently licensed parts?
>
> Can these then be provided as one download (and with an included text file
> defining the licenses of the parts)?
>
> The thing is - does the GPL even allow combining with non-GPL data in such a
> way?

No way to know until it goes to court. The test is that if distributing
the game executable alongside its data creates a derivative work or not.
I would guess that it does not, but who knows what a court would decide.

> Also: most music applications do not support build scripts. The project file
> would still need manual actions to process to the finished file. Thus, the
> source package would then contain BOTH the resulting, edited, ogg file AND the
> project file for the application.

Yep, it is problematic that music apps are generally not automatable, I
doubt many musicians would desire that though.

> > > Well, because of the source requirement, CC probably is not DFSG-free then?
> >
> > Not requiring source distribution doesn't mean a license is not
> > DFSG-free, for example BSD-licensed software is DFSG-free.
>
> However, DFSG require source distribution. BSD licensed software can be
> binary-only, but is not DFSG-free then.

Right. That is a problem with any software though, BSD, GPL or whatever.
Nothing ensures that upstream authors are sane about releasing code.

PS: not sure why you moved this off-list?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise