Re: ms-sys contains MBRs which are copyrighted by Microsoft

I fully agree with the argument for the package removal (though nobody
should believe that the copyright holder would ever take any
copyright-enforcement action, which is irrelevant here).

It is however very reasonable to believe that the user who wants to
_restore_ such code to the MBR indeed has the rights to use this code.

I mean the user has the licence to use one of the operating systems
that come with this code.

In the case the user wants to _restore_ this code but does not have
such rights, it is anyway the case that the user was already using
this code before, and all that ms-sys is doing for the user is to
bring his system back to the state it was before a linux install,
which cannot be reasonably considered as assisting the user in the
copyright infringement. I may be wrong at this point, please feel free
to disagree.

So the main legal problem is that ms-sys *contains* copyrighted code.

There may be other solutions to this rather than removing ms-sys from
the repositories.

It definitely would not be copyright infringement to ask the user to
grab these 446 bytes from a previous backup of their system, or from
another PC where the user has a legal copy of such MBR code.

For security reasons it could perform a checksum verification to
protect the user from a corrupt or virus-infected backup file.

So the simple changes in the source would be:
* remove the problematic file from the source code
* change the source code to
-look for a 446-byte file with a specific filename
-if absent, produce error message explaining what the user is supposed
to do and exit
-perform the checksum verification
-if fails, produce appropriate error message and exit
-copy the file to the mbr

(Is it also be copyright violation to distribute checksums along with
the program? In this case, add "look for the presence of a checksum
file with a given name etc; if absent, produce an error message
telling the user to copy it from a trusted source etc and exit".)