Re: Possible violation of license(s) on debian derivative

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:39:53PM +0000, Etenil wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I contact you regarding a possible breach of the terms of at least the
> GPL license on the Etch-based distribution Elive.
>
> http://www.elivecd.org/Help/License
>
> As you can see in the above link, the distribution is licensed under
> CC-by-NC-SA 2.0, which forbids commercial use of the distribution. This
> licensed is not recognised as free by the FSF and is not compatible with
> the GPL.

Correct: there's also some fairly vague prohibition against using this
for warfare - http://www.legalventure.com/clausulamariposa - apparently
supported amongst others by Linux Espanol. I like the idea of a
Butterfly clause - I'm assuming that they mean butterfly rather than a
Spanish insult - but that makes it non-free as a whole, even granted the
change noted by Don Armstrong.

Can I suggest that you take it up with the people behind this: this is a
derivative, not Debian proper. There is a slight problem in that the
suggested email bounces you to a site which bounces you straight back to
where you started :(

Take care,

AndyC