Re: S3TC patent violation in multiple packages?

On 26/12/10 21:13, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 13:58:10 +0100, Rudolf Polzer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the S3TC texture compression scheme is covered by an US patent, as described in
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2010-March/005439.html
> Lots of stuff is covered by US patents.
>
> Debian mostly disregards patents which aren't actively enforced, I don't
> think we should care about this until/unless the patent holder comes and
> threatens us.

Bear in mind most of this crap is illegal in large parts of the world
... for example Europe.

I'm not saying Europe doesn't have software patents, I'm just saying
that software patents are illegal ... and why should WE lose out, just
because YOU have stupid laws? :-)

Any attempt to sue a European distributor would hopefully (a) get shut
down damn fast, and (b) be a painful experience for the plaintiff.

Cheers,
Wol