Re: msntp license

Le Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:19:58PM +0100, jaydee@email.cz a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> the msntp package is marked in debian as being GPL2, while in reality it is
> licensed according to the confusingly named "General Public Licence for the
> software known as MSNTP".
>
> Excerpt from the license: " 1. You may distribute MSNTP or components of
> MSNTP, with or without additions developed by you or by others.  No charge,
> other than an "at-cost" distribution fee, may be charged for copies,
> derivations, or distributions of this material without the express written
> consent of the copyright holders.
>
> 2. You may also distribute MSNTP along with any other product for sale,
> provided that the cost of the bundled package is the same regardless of
> whether MSNTP is included or not, and provided that those interested only in
> MSNTP must be notified that it is a product freely available from the
> University of Cambridge.  "
>
> This is certainly not the GNU GPL and it even seems somewhat non-free to me.
> Am I overlooking something?

Dear Jakub,

good catch, the package is not free. I would add that its upstream homepage is
not available anymore, and that his maintainer does not seem to be active
either.  Unless somebody steps up to care of msntp in non-free, I would rather
recommend removal. No package depend on msntp, and its popcon vote score is
around 20 for a while.

Would you like to file the request for removal ?

http://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy