Re: POV-Ray 3.7 beta in experimental, but non-redistributable

Le Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 01:55:18AM -0300, Nicolas Alvarez a écrit :

> Today I found that POV-Ray 3.7 is packaged in experimental:
> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/povray
>

> This seems to violate the beta license in *every possible way*. Here are the
> restrictions, taken from one of the source files from the upstream source tarball:
>
>  * NOTICE
>  *
>  * This file is part of a BETA-TEST version of POV-Ray version 3.7. It is not
>  * final code. Use of this source file is governed by both the standard POV-Ray
>  * licences referred to in the copyright header block above this notice, and the
>  * following additional restrictions numbered 1 through 4 below:
>  *
>  *   1. This source file may not be re-distributed without the written permission
>  *      of Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Dear Nicolas,

indeed, the Debian copyright file of the povray does not mention written
permissions from Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd. I think that this is
enough to open a Serious bug on the Debian povray package (version
3.7.0~beta29-1). If the povray package maintainers get the permission to
distribute and disable the timeout, or simply forgot to mention that they
already got it, they can close the bug with an upload that corrects the Debian
copyright file, and otherwise the bug can be reassigned to ftp.debian.org as a
request for removal.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy