Re: New Adobe CMaps license free enough for Debian?

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:28:30 +0200 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!  :-)

> The Ghostscript project includes some so-called "CMap" files contributed
> by Adobe, which until recently was shipped with a non-free license
> allowing only redistribution:
[...]
> Consequently Ghostscript in Debian have shipped without those CMap
> files, hurting (as I understand it) handling of multibyte fonts.
>
> September 25 CMap files was updated in Ghostscript Subversion, with the
> following license:
>
> >Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
> >without modification, are permitted provided that the
> >following conditions are met:
> >
> >Redistributions of source code must retain the above
> >copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
> >disclaimer.
> >
> >Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
> >copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
> >disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
> >provided with the distribution.

Mmmmh, it seems that you didn't *fully* quote the text of the new
license...

> Commit message indicates that Ghostscript project interpret the new
> license as allowing modifications. I would like to have the legal teams
> opinion on whether this new license is acceptable for the Debian
> project.
[...]

According to recent news about this re-licensing, the newly adopted
license is a BSD license:

The blog post cited in the above message is:
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2009/09/24/adobe-data-freed/
and the actual text of the new license is:
http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/cmap/License
which is basically the 3-clause BSD license.

The 3-clause BSD license is a simple and permissive Free Software
non-copyleft license: it is perfectly fine for Debian (main).
There are many other packages in main that are released under
equivalent terms.

[...]
> Please cc me personally on responses, as I am not subscribed to the
> list.

Done.

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx