Re: Serious problem with geoip - databases could not be build from source

Hi Francesco!
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:33:43 +0200, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:

>> 1. maxmind. Web page[1] show that C code is under LGPL but data files
>>    are under Open Data License (BSD-like + fixed text acknowledgment --
>>    slightly non-free?).

> This "Open Data License" looks like something more or less equivalent
> to the 4-clause BSD license (even though rephrased with a database in
> mind, rather than software).

Indeed, looks very similar. Thanks.

In fact, there is a small addition in this license -- the part
"...available from http://maxmind.com/"; in the acknowledgement -- which
seems to differ from the usual BSD clauses. This part can become false
(maxmind could drop geolite, rename it, the domain could expire, etc.)
but can not be corrected or removed. It's a minor issue though.

> The 4-clause BSD license has been traditionally considered as meeting
> the DFSG (although deprecated).
> It's (L)GPL-incompatible, but, in the present case, I am under the
> impression that data files are merely aggregated with (and indeed used
> as data by) the C code: as a consequence, the license incompatibility
> should not be an issue.

I agree.

Alexander Cherepanov