Re: LGPL code that includes files licensed under Sun Public License 1.0 - DFSG-free?

tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org> writes:

> I'm not saying that they are unchanged in the source distribution of libjxp,
> but that the upstream author says that the files that were released as part
> of JavaCC under the SPL license are the same files (meaning they have the
> same content) as the files now under the BSD-like license.

Sorry, I must have missed this point.

> That is, it seems like it makes a difference that the code used to
> create the derived work is the same under both licenses.  Otherwise,
> the derived work is still derived from code that has only been
> distributed under the SPL, and it seems like the upstream author would
> need to "re-derive" the work from the BSD-licensed file.

Exactly. However, you cannot simply replace the SPL license text as the
modified version is still SPLed. You need to get permission from
upstream to use the modifications under BSD-3 as well. I hope this
answers your questions.

Hendrik