Re: RFS: ognl

Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:

> I don't like:
>
> * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called
> * "OpenSymphony"
> *    or "OGNL", nor may "OpenSymphony" or "OGNL" appear in their
> *    name, without prior written permission of the OpenSymphony
> *    Group.
>
> since we are, arguably, distributing a derivative work and if we ever
> patch it then we certainly are. I've CC'd debian-legal to get slightly
> wider comments on the matter.
>
> For debian-legal readers, the full licence is below.

I really dislike that license clause as well, but the PHP license also has
that clause and it's in main.  So it doesn't appear to make the package
non-free in the opinion of the ftp-masters.  It looks like OpenSymphony
just copied the PHP license (which is a shame, since it's a crappy
license).  Here's the equivalent clause in the PHP license:

  4. Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
     may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
     from group@php.net.  You may indicate that your software works in
     conjunction with PHP by saying "Foo for PHP" instead of calling
     it "PHP Foo" or "phpfoo"