Converting a licence to be DFSG compliant

The smssend package was removed from Debian for the reason stated in bug
#399685.

About six months ago I managed to contact the author of the software. He more
or less said 'tell me what to do to make the licence acceptable to Debian and
I'll do it'. Not having any skills in devising licences I wrote to the Debian
maintainer of the package who was enthusiastic about getting it back in the
archives and said he would deal with the issue. I passed on the address of the
copyright holder. Since then I written to the Debian maintainer a couple of
times inquiring about progress but have had no response.

My concern is not so much about having smssend back in Debian (although that
would be nice) but with taking advantage of the opportunity to fix the problem
with the licence. Is there a recommended route to follow to achieve this?

Cheers,

Brian.