Re: License requiring to reproduce copyrights in binary distributions.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> (02/07/2009):
> […] may I suggest the BOLA license, that is a politically correct
> version of the WTFPL?
>
> http://blitiri.com.ar/p/bola/

Quoting it:
| The BOLA text
| Here's the text. I usually place it in a file named LICENSE in the top directory of the project.
| It's composed of an introduction, and then the "license" itself.
| Last updated: 11/September/2006. Version 1.0.
|
| I don't like licenses, because I don't like having to worry about all this
| legal stuff just for a simple piece of software I don't really mind anyone
| using. But I also believe that it's important that people share and give back;
| so I'm placing this work under the following license.
|

| BOLA - Buena Onda License Agreement (v1.0)
| ------------------------------------------
|
| This work is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no
| event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of
| this work.
|
| To all effects and purposes, this work is to be considered Public Domain.
|

| However, if you want to be "buena onda", you should:
|
| 1. Not take credit for it, and give proper recognition to the authors.
| 2. Share your modifications, so everybody benefits from them.
| 3. Do something nice for the authors.
| 4. Help someone who needs it.
| 5. Don't waste. Anything, but specially energy that comes from natural
|    non-renewable resources.
| 6. Be tolerant. Everything that's good in nature comes from cooperation.

How is that the same as:
|             DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
|                     Version 2, December 2004
|
|  Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar
|   14 rue de Plaisance, 75014 Paris, France
|  Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
|  copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
|  as the name is changed.
|
|             DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
|    TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION
|
|   0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.

Quoting the FAQ:
|  Isn’t this license basically public domain?
|
| There is no such thing as “putting a work in the public domain”, you
| America-centered, Commonwealth-biased individual. Public domain varies
| with the jurisdictions, and it is in some places debatable whether
| someone who has not been dead for the last seventy years is entitled to
| put his own work in the public domain.

(Sources for last two quotes: http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/)

Replacing “Public Domain” by “Public Domain” (which to me is what BOLA
is about) sounds hmmm broken?

Mraw,
KiBi.