Re: DFSG compatibility of the "Poetic License"

Hi Ben,

I came across an old discussion regarding a license I wrote for
memorability, clarity, and most of all, fun. Your argument against
using the license due to a general desire to minimise proliferation is
sound. And in this respect, the license is placed in the same category
as ALL NEW licenses, regardless of novelty. In all righteousness, may
evolution cease!

However, the detailed line by line legal attack is as humorous as the
original poem was intended. Further arguments are tidy rubbish, as the
license is DIRECTLY based on the BSD, MIT, and ISC, either verbatim,
or in most cases, word shifted for rhyme and rhythm.

Poetic License:

(c) <year> <copyright holders>

This work ‘as-is’ we provide.
No warranty, express or implied.
We’ve done our best,
to debug and test.
Liability for damages denied.

Permission is granted hereby,
to copy, share, and modify.
Use as is fit,
free or for profit.
On this notice these rights rely.

Let's start with the MIT license, shall we?:

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS",
WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,

BSD:

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY <copyright holder> ''AS IS''
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.

Continuing with the ISC, I hardly think even lawyers have corrupted
the English languish enough that it is necessarily to declare all
possibilities and/or their converse just to articulate the concepts of
"ALL" or "NONE"? For example, "direct or indirect", "these damages or
any other damages", "this, that, or other"?:

IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE
FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE
OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE
OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

The last stanza of the Poetic License again:

Permission is granted hereby,
to copy, share, and modify.
Use as is fit,
free or for profit.
On this notice these rights rely.

The ISC again:

Permission to use, copy, modify,
and/or distribute this software for any purpose
with or without fee
is hereby granted,
provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice
appear in all copies.

Perhaps more appropriate are accusations of plagiarism. I can not deny
guilt. I blatantly copied three licenses!

Sincerely yours, with tongue in cheek,
Alex Genaud

http://genaud.net/2005/10/poetic-license/

----

--
[ alex@genaud.net ][ http://genaud.net ]
[ B068 ED90 F47B 0965 2953  9FC3 EE9C C4D5 3E51 A207 ]