Re: legal questions regarding machine learning models

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
> Mathieu Blondel writes:
>
> > My first question is : is it possible to distribute the model under a
> > free software license without distributing the original data that were
> > used to train the model? Likewise, is it possible to package directly
> > a model in Debian?
>
> The answer to your first question is easy: Yes.  Many free software
> licenses do not require the distribution of "source code" for any
> generated data that is distributed.
>
> Packaging it for Debian is more complicated, because the DFSG *does*
> require the distribution of the source form for any software that is
> part of Debian.

As I understand it, Debian does not have to distribute the source
code, but must be able to distribute it if it wishes.  So the model
could still go into main and the ftpmasters could decide whether they
want to host the data.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@caltech.edu