Re: radare ppc_disasm.c license check

On Tue, 26 May 2009 14:33:42 +0100 Leandro Doctors wrote:

> 2009/5/26 Sebastian Reichel <elektranox@gmail.com>:
> > Please cc:me, I am not subscribed to d-legal.
> Done

Done, as well.

> > Can somebody please tell me if the following license really is
> > DFSG conform after the license change?
>
> > <FILE> is freeware and may be freely redistributed and modified
> > for non-commercial usage,
> > as long as the above copyright of the original
> > author is preserved and appears in the documentation or the program itself.
> [...]
> > EVERY PRODUCT OR PROGRAM DERIVED DIRECTLY FROM THIS SOURCE MAY NOT BE
> > SOLD COMMERCIALLY WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR.
> IMHO, I think it's not DFSG-conformant. It forbids commercial usage
> without permission.

I think it definitely fails to meet DFSG#1, since it forbids selling of
derived products/programs, and DFSG#6, since it discriminates against
redistribution and modification for commercial usage.

As usual, my disclaimers are: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

I hope upstream may be persuaded to adopt a well known and widely used
license which clearly meets the DFSG.
My personal suggestion is the Expat/MIT license:
http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx