Re: Zimbra and Yahoo Public License

In message <[🔎] 17890740.4861239900788731.JavaMail.root@newmail.brainfood.com>, Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> writes
I raised this in the past as we use Zimbra internally. The main objection at
that time was "choice of venue", which has been discussed at length.

I continue to hold the view that establishing the legal venue gives clarity to
the contractual structure of the agreement in a positive way. Its better to
have the contract explicitly define which legal "operating system" it is
designed to execute in. Otherwise, the language of the contract may be
interpreted in a way radically different than the intent with which it was
framed.

My opinion is currently not the popular one. It just makes rational sense in
my mind.

So, let's say you're a Cuban (or a Russian?) The venue is California. If you're a Cuban, do you think you're going to be able to get a visa to go to court? Or Russian (an ordinary Russian, that is), how are you going to get the money to go to California?

Choice of VENUE isn't free, as it denies recourse to law to many. Oh - and the (new-ish) American habit of denying entry (or at least making it very difficult) for anybody with a criminal conviction no matter how long ago is a problem there too - I think the stats say about 30% of young adult brits now have a criminal record :-(

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk