Re: GPL2 vs. GPL3

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM,  <dominik.smatana@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I was trying to read GPL3, but my English is not good enough to
> figure this out by myself.

English is my Mother Tongue, and I've been a software engineer for
many years.  In my work I have often encountered issues of copyright,
licensing and derivative works.

I have read the GPL3 several times, but so far the best I've been able
to accomplish is to make my head spin from doing so.

I have to decide on a GPL version for Ogg Frog before I can release
it, but I am, frankly, clueless as to how to proceed.

There are actually four licenses to consider.  Each is different from
the others in significant ways; it would be a terrible mistake to
choose any of them without fully understanding the consequences of
one's choice:

GPL2 only
GPL2 or any later version
GPL3 only
GPL3 or any later version

IMHO, any software license doesn't serve its intended purpose if those
whom it is meant to help can't understand it.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com