Re: Combining Artistic|GPL-1+ with GPL-2 and LGPL-3+

[Please continue to Cc me on replies. Thanks]

-=| Walter Landry, Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 05:08:14AM -0800 |=-
> MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Most of the code is licensed under "the same terms as Perl
> > > itself",
> > [...]
> > > In addition to that, some icons are licensed under LGPL-3+, and some
> > > more icons are licensed under GPL-2.
> > >
> > > From how I understand it, if we choose GPL-2 for the main code, that
> > > still leaves the combination of GPL-2 (code and some .png icons) and
> > > LGPL-3+ (.png icons). Is such aggregation OK?
> >
> > If it's mere aggregation, I believe each stays under their own licence.
>
> Just to be clear, if it is not mere aggregation, then it is not ok.
> If the LGPL-3+ icons are required for the program to operate
> correctly, that is a hint that licenses need to be compatible with
> GPL-2.

Reading GPL-2, "mere aggregation" is when two independent "works" sit
on the same "volume of a storage or distribution medium".

In the case I am after, both "works" are in the same upstream tarball,
and in the same .deb.

The files are separate, i.e. no compilation in the C source --> object
code sense is taking place. The icons are loaded at runtime and used
in the user interface.

Does this sound like "a mere aggregation"?