Re: bittorrent open source license version 1.1

Cristian Greco <cristian.debian@gmail.com> wrote: [...]
> I was not able to find the full text of the license at the url mentioned
> above, but searching in the archive gave me a pointer to the following
> discussion, which seems to mark the license as non-free:
>
> 	http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/10/msg00042.html
>
> BTW, package qtorrent (orphaned) include a previous version of
> bencode.py released under the same license version 1.0.
>
> Any opinion?

When I last saw it, version 1.1 was internally inconsistant, with
parts referring to the older version 1.0 licence.  If there's no
longer a copy on the URL given and there's no licence with the
software, I don't think we have a valid licence.

qtorrent has a serious bug if it includes bencode.py under BTOSL 1.0

Both should switch to the clean room implementation of bencode from
http://bittorrent.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/bittorrent/BitTorrent/

I'm not sure about metafile.py - I only find it in deluge.  Are you
sure it's from bittorrent.com?  The addition commit log email was
http://www.mail-archive.com/deluge-commit@googlegroups.com/msg00077.html
but I don't see it in the next bittorrent.com sources
http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/archive/BitTorrent-5.2.2.tar.gz

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef