Re: enabling transport and on storage encryption in bacula on debian build

(Here goes an email with actual content, since I messed up...)

> > I suggest you Google up "user does the link".  [...]
> I suggest you just post the URL(s) you mean.  Google results pages are
> highly volatile and vary by browser location: what you saw then may
> not be what I see now.

You don't really need Google, you just need a tiny bit of knowledge about
some very famous things the FSF had said in the past.  It has turned up for
NeXt and GNU Readline, for instance.  Asking this is like asking for a
reference that Abraham Lincoln was a US President--it's just too well known.

If you really want a reference, try this:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF

# Can I release a program under the GPL which I developed using non-free tools?
#
# It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. For instance, if the
# program uses only simple fork and exec to invoke and communicate with
# plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate programs, so the license of the
# plug-in makes no requirements about the main program.
#
# If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to
# each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program,
# which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the
# plug-ins. In order to use the GPL-covered plug-ins, the main program must
# be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and
# that the terms of the GPL must be followed when the main program is
# distributed for use with these plug-ins.

> It also seems unkind to tell upstream
> developers to use non-free software like Google, instead of writing
> great free software like they usually do.

You are being ridiculous.  Google's search engine runs on their own machines.
They're not distributing it.  Which means that most free licenses wouldn't
require Google to release any source code at all.  (And the ones that
do are highly controversial.)

If you like, you can pretend that Google's search engine is under BSD.  That
would make no difference whatsoever as to your rights to get it (which are
nonexistent in either case).