Re: Mixture of Code unter GPL-2+ and UnRAR license compatible?

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

> P.S.: I think that maybe all this mess is not worth doing... maybe the
> best long-term solution is searching or developing a Free (GPLv2+
> compatible) UnRAR replacement.

AIUI, a major problem is that there is some kind of monopoly asserted by
the copyright holder in the primary RAR program.

The Wikipedia page <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR> is full of
confusion over software freedom terms and suffers from incoherency, but
the overall gist (that interacting with newer-format RAR data is
considered the monopoly of the RAR author) is clear.

Whether it's accurate, I can't say; but this appears to have had a
significant chilling effect <URL:http://chillingeffects.org/> on
development of free-software RAR programs.

--
 \              “Dvorak users of the world flgkd!” —Kirsten Chevalier, |
  `\                                                rec.humor.oracle.d |