Re: Skype/Facebook trademark logos in Debian packages

Ben Finney wrote:
> This does, to my mind, permit using the mark to say ???this product
> supports that other product and/or service???, and doesn't need the
> trademark holder's permission.
>
> Whether other jurisdictions have a similar allowance, I don't know.

To my knowledge this is a fairly common concept around the world.
You have to be able to say "these bags fit the X brand of vacuum
cleaner" or "this software runs on Microsoft Windows". European
trademark law (harmonized at EU level) explicitly recognizes
this right.

There's always debate about whether this allows one to use a logo
or only the name of the brand. Is it necessary to show the logo
instead of printing the name?

Arnoud

--
IT lawyer, blogger and patent attorney ~ Associate at ICTRecht.nl legal services
        http://www.arnoud.engelfriet.net/ ~ http://www.iusmentis.com/