Re: GPL versions mismatch.

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> In message <[🔎] he7933$tg5$1@ger.gmane.org>, Raúl Sánchez Siles
> <rasasi78@gmail.com> writes
>>>  From what you've said, I think the way forward is apparent. As you
>>> surmise, accepting GPL v3 contributions isn't possible with the current
>>> project status saying the project licence is v2. Actually, I think you
>>> COULD accept v3 contributions, but to do so you'd need to change the
>>> project licence to v3.
>>
>>  ...Or to v2+, if I understood correctly.
>
> No. In that case you're granting permissions that the author didn't
> grant. Think about it ...
>
> You're given a load of code that is licenced "v3+ plus OpenSSL
> exemption". You then put it into a v2+ project ... BIG NO NO. You've
> just gone and told all your recipients they can distribute as per GPL v2
> - something the v3 author did NOT give you permission to do!

  This brings me a question: if the code is already GPLv2+, who is to take
the decision of stating that the whole project is GPLv2+?. If each
contributor agreed that the code is already GPLv2+, why shouldn't the
project already be considered GPLv2+?

> You said that your authors at the moment are a bit chary about moving to
> v3, but you think it's a good idea. What's actually probably a good idea
> then is to say that "All new contributions must be v2+ or v2/v3, in
> preparation for a move to v3". (Or BSD, or some other GPL-compatible
> (both versions) licence.)

  I think I got this: there can't be any GPLv3 code in the project if the
project license is either GPLv2 or GPLv2+, right?

  If I'm right, this means, that no GPLv3 code will ever be able to be used,
and this includes link, unless the license is moved to GPLv3, is this right
again?

  In this case, what happens to those embedded or linked code which is
GPLv1+, for instace?

> That doesn't alter the project's current v2 status. It DOES stop a
> developer throwing a spanner in the works by contributing some new
> v2-only code which will prevent you from relicensing. And it makes clear
> to developers where you are planning to go.

  Ok, now it's turn to convince them about the move.

> Cheers,
> Wol

  Thanks again for the supporting effort.

--