Re: GR proposal: the AGPL does not meet the DFSG (take 2)

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:18:35 +0100 Bill Allombert wrote:

> I moved the discussion to debian-vote where it belongs.
> (please CC me).

Bill, I appreciate this effort to solve the GNU AfferoGPL issue.
I agree with you that works released under the terms of the GNU
AfferoGPL v3 do not meet the DFSG: my own personal opinion was
previously stated on this list:

There were other threads on debian-legal about this topic, as you
probably know.

Anyway, I am not sure that a GR is the best tool to solve this
issue.  Please compare with the GR about the GFDL and its (absurd)
outcome...

[...]
> 1) Someone might want to reuse part of some AGPL software in a completly
> different work. For example, a AGPL-licensed blog system might include a
> code that implement an authentification scheme that you want to reuse in your
> POP3 server. If a license actively prevent you from doing that, then it is
> non-free.

This argument should really be stressed, since, AFAICT, many people
tend to underestimate the probability and importance of code reuse in
the Free-Software-centric ecosystem.

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx