Re: RFS: spim

Jim Larus <larus@microsoft.com> writes:

> Just to confirm: I give permission to any open source project to
> modify and distribute spim and xspim, so long as my name and copyright
> remains on the code.

Thanks for persisting with this.

However, this is insufficient for the work to meet the Debian Free
Software Guidelines. For those guidelines, the license terms must grant
*any* recipient of the work via Debian, regardless of that recipient's
purpose or field of endeavour, to modify and redistribute the work under
the same license terms.

You might like to quickly review the guidelines we use to judge the
freedom of a work <URL:http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt>, and a
related FAQ document <URL:http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html>.

Would it be acceptable to grant license under the terms of the Expat
license <URL:http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt>? If you make a
statement that you grant recipients of the works ‘spim’ and ‘xspim’ a
license under those terms, then those works will be unambiguously free
under the DFSG.

--
 \     “We are no more free to believe whatever we want about God than |
  `\         we are free to adopt unjustified beliefs about science or |