New Adobe CMaps license free enough for Debian?

Hi,

The Ghostscript project includes some so-called "CMap" files contributed by Adobe, which until recently was shipped with a non-free license allowing only redistribution:

Permission is granted for redistribution of this file
provided this copyright notice is maintained intact and
that the contents of this file are not altered in any
way from its original form.

Consequently Ghostscript in Debian have shipped without those CMap files, hurting (as I understand it) handling of multibyte fonts.

September 25 CMap files was updated in Ghostscript Subversion, with the following license:

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
without modification, are permitted provided that the
following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer.

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
provided with the distribution.

Commit message indicates that Ghostscript project interpret the new license as allowing modifications. I would like to have the legal teams opinion on whether this new license is acceptable for the Debian project. I am especially concerned about the the initial limitations: do "use" in source form mean we are allowed only to compile the virgin code or does that also allow us to derive and compile something else?

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

co-maintainer of Ghostscript for Debian

Please cc me personally on responses, as I am not subscribed to the list.

- Jonas