Re: Are these licenses DFSG?

cate wrote:
> Eugen Dedu wrote:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=532456, about licenses
> I think there is a problem in terminology. AFAIK (but IANAL), the
> "any use" doesn't include distribution of software.
> For this reason I think it is safe to classify it as non distributable,
>
> It seems that the author intention was to interpret the "any use" in
> a wider manner, but this is not legally safe for us.

I'd agree with that unless someone can tell me why not.  I think
there's case law about "use" not including distribution.  Ideally,
suggest that the licensor uses some well-understood terms like the
modified BSD or the MIT/Expat ones.

Also, please note that software can satisfy the DFSG, rather than
licences.  It is confusing to ask whether licences "are" DFSG because
clearly they are not guidelines.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef