Re: Porting library to different programming language (dnsruby vs. Net::Dns)

[resent]
Hi debian-legal,

I have a interesting situation here (and AlexD which is in Cc: ) may add more.

Alex (who works for Nominet) wrote dnsruby - a port of perl Net::DNS
library to ruby.

Original Net::DNS is licensed under perl license (which is GPLv1+ or Artistic).

dnsruby follows the interface of Net::DNS and f.e. demo/ subdirectory
contains rewritten examples which retains mention of original authors
of perl code.

Now Nominet UK want's this code to be licensed under Apache 2.0 license.

The question is If the Nominet is able to do that. They have asked
Olaf Kolkman and Michael Fuhr, who're active maintainers of Net:DNS,
and they both agree, but there is some code written by Chris
Reinhardt, who is not reachable at his last known email.

Alex can perhaps add more.

Please keep me and Alex in Cc:, thanks.

Ondrej
P.S.: I would very much like to know the answer in general way - I'm
thinking about doing similar thing - rewriting some library to python
with retaining as much interface as possible from original perl
library.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
http://blog.rfc1925.org/