private packages

Hello,

I am working in a company selling a product based on Linux with some applications whose code belongs to us.
Currently the product is based on a Linux From Scratch and we are willing to turn to Debian for the next generation of products. To take entire benefit of the Debian system, we would like to package everything including our proprietary applications.

I still have a little doubt about it because I don't find the explicit proof that packaging a software in .deb form doesn't require it to be distributed, at least in binary format.

The chapter 2.3 of the debian policy manual says :
"Packages whose copyright permission notices (or patent problems) do not even allow redistribution of binaries only, and where no special permission has been obtained, must not be placed on the Debian FTP site and its mirrors at all."

This makes me understand that it is possible to package softwares with incompatible licenses, (it's just not possible to place them on Debian mirrors, but our need is not to do so), but it doesn't tell me if the use of the .deb format obliges the package to be distributed.

Well, I think I know the answer : the only fact of packaging is not like using code under a free license and in this case won't require to respect the terms of the GPL for our own softwares, but if I could have a confirmation of this, it would be nice.

Thank you in advance

Pascal