Re: Serious problem with geoip - databases could not be build from source

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:53:49 +0400 Alexander Cherepanov wrote:

[...]
> 1. maxmind. Web page[1] show that C code is under LGPL but data files
>    are under Open Data License (BSD-like + fixed text acknowledgment --
>    slightly non-free?).

This "Open Data License" looks like something more or less equivalent
to the 4-clause BSD license (even though rephrased with a database in
mind, rather than software).

The 4-clause BSD license has been traditionally considered as meeting
the DFSG (although deprecated).
It's (L)GPL-incompatible, but, in the present case, I am under the
impression that data files are merely aggregated with (and indeed used
as data by) the C code: as a consequence, the license incompatibility
should not be an issue.

[...]
> [1] http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/LICENSE.txt
> There are two licenses, one for the C library software, and one for
> the database.
>
> SOFTWARE LICENSE (C library)
>
> The GeoIP C Library is licensed under the LGPL.  For details see
> the COPYING file.
>
> OPEN DATA LICENSE (GeoLite Country and GeoLite City databases)
>
> Copyright (c) 2008 MaxMind, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
>
> All advertising materials and documentation mentioning features or use of
> this database must display the following acknowledgment:
> "This product includes GeoLite data created by MaxMind, available from
> http://maxmind.com/";
>
> Redistribution and use with or without modification, are permitted provided
> that the following conditions are met:
> 1. Redistributions must retain the above copyright notice, this list of
> conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
> materials provided with the distribution.
> 2. All advertising materials and documentation mentioning features or use of
> this database must display the following acknowledgement:
> "This product includes GeoLite data created by MaxMind, available from
> http://maxmind.com/";
> 3. "MaxMind" may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
> database without specific prior written permission.
>
> THIS DATABASE IS PROVIDED BY MAXMIND, INC ``AS IS'' AND ANY
> EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
> WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
> DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL MAXMIND BE LIABLE FOR ANY
> DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
> (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
> LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
> ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
> (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
> DATABASE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx