Re: xf86-video-glamo license check

On Fri, 15 May 2009 11:59:32 +0200 Luca Capello wrote:

> Hi there!

Hi Luca,

> Please cc:me, I am not subscribed to d-legal, TIA.  I cc:ed the
> corresponding ITP bug #520955, but I do not know if the discussion
> should be cc:ed there as well, thus do whatever you like :-)

Done.

[...]
> Before going to main, the major problem is the upstream license, or,
> better, licenses.  Since I am not a license expert, I am here to ask for
> advice and to know if upstream is already DFSG-free.  The full
> debian/copyright is below.

Important disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

The two licenses that are quoted in the debian/copyright file (apart
from the GNU GPL v2, which is well-known to be OK) meet the DFSG, as
far a I can tell, and seem to be used in many other packages in main
(I'm going from memory, but I think that some random checks would
confirm this...).

The only issue I spotted could be the following one:

[...]
> From src/glamo-driver.c:
> ------------------------
>
> 	Authors:  Alan Hourihane, <alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk>
> 	          Michel Dänzer, <michel@tungstengraphics.com>
>
> 	No license

A file with no copyright permission notice *could* be a problem, since
it *could* mean that no license is granted on this file: that would
imply "All Rights Reserved", and hence a legally undistributable file.

However, files with no license information are sometimes present in a
software package that includes a general copyright permission notice
(centralized in a suitable file, typically named something like
LICENSE.txt or so).  If this is the case, then we could guess that the
file is implicitly covered by the general license, especially when the
LICENSE.txt file was prepared by the same people who wrote the
file with no licensing information...

So the question is: where did this "src/glamo-driver.c" file come from?
The two authors of this file do not seem to hold authorship on other
files, as far as I can see.  Did they contribute this file to
xf86-video-glamo or was this file taken from somewhere else?

I think this file should be investigated closely.

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx