Re: php5-xapian: PHP licence vs GPL

* Olly Betts:

> It's possible this FAQ entry may not have been updated for GPLv3 - I
> notice that it talks about PHP4, which is obsolete now, and PHP5 predates
> GPLv3.

Yes, I think this may be the case.

> I guess Florian's thinking is based on additional restrictions allowed
> by GPLv3 7c:
>
>     c) Prohibiting misrepresentation of the origin of that material, or
>     requiring that modified versions of such material be marked in
>     reasonable ways as different from the original version

Right, and there is also this one:

    d) Limiting the use for publicity purposes of names of licensors or
    authors of the material; or

(When applied to the *PHP* group.)  And:

    e) Declining to grant rights under trademark law for use of some
    trade names, trademarks, or service marks; or

> If so, the key issue seems to be whether the naming restriction in section 4
> of the PHP licence can be considered "reasonable":

>   4. Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
>      may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
>      from group@php.net.  You may indicate that your software works in
>      conjunction with PHP by saying "Foo for PHP" instead of calling
>      it "PHP Foo" or "phpfoo"

This may not be covered by c), but I think it's covered by e).