Re: issues with the AGPL

Greg Harris <glharris@panix.com> wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote: [...]
> > Free-software licenses especially are (by definition) unilateral
> > grants of permission, so I can't see how you lump them under contract.
>
> Um, no. Software licenses are one instance of a class of unilateral
> contracts. Another instance is product warranties. Yet another class is
> a store's advertised prices for goods. There are others.

This is an old chestnut and there are several points of view with no
internationally-accepted conclusion as far as I can tell.  Here's four
of the previous subthreads at random:-

Fortunately, I thought it doesn't really matter in this case because
judges in copyright cases applied some rule of reasonableness (even if
it sometimes seems incomprehensible), so I let it slide.

Can we not examine the chestnut in detail right here, please?

Thanks,
--
MJR/slef