software licensed under "GPLv2 or later" and "GPLv3 or later"

Debian Legal:

I'm considering sponsoring an upload of a packaging of mathtex
(http://www.forkosh.com/mathtex.html).  The upstream README file says
that the software is licensed under GPLv2 or later, while the comments
in the source file indicates that it is licensed under GPLv3 or later.
The software is a CGI script that generates graphics from LaTex math
embedded in web pages.

My question is whether there is any discrepancy or need for
clarification from the upstream author regarding the license before the
package is submitted to the archive.

Thank you,
Tony

--
Please cc: me on replies, as I am not subscribed to the list.